Friday, June 28, 2013

Lucky Charms Cupcakes


The idea to make these cupcakes has been in my head for a long time. Once I get an idea, I can't stop thinking about it. So this past weekend I finally got into the kitchen and made Lucky Charms Cupcakes. Although I never really liked Lucky Charms growing up, I knew I could transform them into a cute and tasty cupcake. For the frosting, it was a no-brainer. I had to go with a marshmallow frosting.  I went back and forth on the cupcake base and ultimately settled on a funfetti cake. Funfetti is one of my all-time favorite flavors and I thought its colorful appearance went well with the theme. The funfetti cupcakes themselves are perfectly light and airy with the addition of six egg whites in the batter. I know that I will make this recipe over and over again- I think it would also be really good with vanilla or strawberry buttercream. Finally I topped the cupcakes with Lucky Charms. Just one note- the Lucky Charms were a little soggy and started to melt the next day. If you plan to make these cupcakes in advance, I suggest waiting to add the Lucky Charms until just before serving them.

I think these cupcakes would be especially good for a child's birthday party. But whatever the occasion, these cupcakes are magically delicious!

Lucky Charms Cupcakes
Cupcakes from Annie's Eats,  Frosting from Martha Stewart
Yield: 24 Cupcakes

1 cup whole milk, divided
6 large egg whites
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract
2 3/4 cups cake flour 
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 tbsp + 1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup multi-colored sprinkles

Frosting:
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 cups powdered sugar
7 1/2 oz marshmallow fluff
2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two muffin pans with paper liners and set aside. 

In a liquid measuring cup, combined 1/4 cup of the whole milk, egg whites, vanilla extract and almond extract. Whisk until combined. 

In a stand mixer, combine the cake flour, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix on low speed for about 30 seconds. Add the butter and continue to mix on low speed until the mixture resembles wet sand. Add the remaining 3/4 cup whole milk. Increase the speed of the mixer and beat for an additional 1-2 minutes. With the mixer now on low speed, add the egg white mixture in three addition, mixing for at least 20 seconds after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Add the sprinkles and gently mix with a rubber spatula.

Divide the batter between the prepared muffin tins. Bake for approximately 18 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Allow cupcakes to cool in the pan for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. 


While the cupcakes are cooling, prepare the frosting. In a stand mixer, beat the butter until light and creamy, about 3-4 minutes. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the powdered sugar. Gradually increase the speed and mix until fully incorporated. Add the marshmallow fluff and vanilla extract. Beat until light and fluffy, another 1-2 minutes. 

Pipe frosting on cooled cupcakes. Garnish with Lucky Charms.

1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous!! Just love these...Lucky Charms are my favorite:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...