Monday, September 23, 2013

Coconut Oil Banana Bread


Recently my boyfriend came home with a box of 15 bananas that were leftover from the Coaches vs. Cancer 5K race. What do you do when life hands you 15 ripe bananas? Well, you could make 5 loaves of this Coconut Oil Banana Bread! Actually I just made one loaf at the time and froze the rest of the bananas for future use. But I can guarantee that most of the frozen bananas will be used to make more banana bread. My boyfriend practically begs me to make it for him every weekend.

I have been using this particular banana bread recipe for a few months now and absolutely love it. It is the most incredibly moist and delicious banana bread that I have ever made. The coconut oil provides sweet, yet very subtle coconut flavor that complements the bananas well. I seriously love coconut oil- these Coconut Oil Chocolate Chip Cookies and these Coconut Oil Brownies are two of my favorite recipes from the blog. But even if you are a coconut hater like my boyfriend, the coconut flavor in this banana bread is not overpowering by any means. I am not even sure whether my boyfriend knows that this recipe uses coconut oil- although I guess that the secret is out after reading this post. Oh well, I already have it on record that he loves this bread!


Coconut Oil Banana Bread
Recipe adapted from Chez Us

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup virgin coconut oil
1 cup (8 oz) cream cheese, at room temperature
1 cup light brown sugar
1 egg
3 medium-sized bananas, mashed

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

In another large bowl, beat the coconut oil with a hand mixer on medium speed until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the cream cheese and beat until combined and smooth. Add the brown sugar and mix until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Add the egg and bananas. Mix until combined. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.

Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for 45-55 minutes or until golden brown in color and baked all the way through. An inserted knife should come out clean. Allow the bread to cool completely before serving.

7 comments:

  1. I love banana bread! I could live on that stuff! It is truly addicting! Thank you for sharing, love your site!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love banana bread! This looks amazing. :) I've never cooked with coconut oil before but my father in law swears by it and I'm betting he'd love this loaf if I made it for him!
    Tina at www.tinaschic.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds extra delicious with coconut oil and cream cheese! I just love a good banana bread.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yummy Meghan, I'll have to try coconut oil with banana bread! Thanks for this lovely idea. :) Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just commenting on another blog and saying how pumpkin or/and banana breads are my favorites! Wow, 15 bananas? Or should I say, wow, 5 loaves of banana bread?! You're set and I'm jealous:) It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love banana bread and adding coconut is the best! I am still looking forward to try your coconut chocolate chip cookies but it looks like these are gonna beat the it first.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just made this yesterday- it was delicious, but a tad bland. I may have not added enough salt, but everyone devoured it regardless. The coconut oil and cream cheese did make the bread as moist as I had hoped for without the guilt of butter, and I did 1/2 whole wheat flour to make it even more nutritious. If I made it again I'd add cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice, some vanilla extract, and maybe walnuts for added flavor.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...