Monday, April 14, 2014

Salted Double Chocolate Chunk Cookies



There is something about the combination of sweet and salty that I find to be irresistible. Perhaps that's why I love the combination of chocolate and peanut butter so much. When Dan and I visited the Chocolate Bar a few months back, I went up and got a cup of popcorn several times throughout the morning. The salty popcorn was the perfect complement to the dozens of chocolate desserts we sampled. Which brings me to these cookies- another great example of my love for the combination of sweet and salty. 


This receipe calls for 20 ounces of semisweet chocolate. At first I thought that seemed like way too much chocolate for one batch of cookies, but really is there such a thing as too much chocolate? There is sea salt mixed into the batter, as well as sprinkled on top of the cookies. If you love the combination of sweet and salty as much as I do, then these salted double chocolate chunk cookies are definitely worth a try. 

Salted Double Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Recipe from Annie's Eats (originally from Martha Stewart Living) 

8 oz. semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp sea salt, plus more for sprinkling
2 large eggs, at room temperature
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
12 oz. semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.

Combine the 8 ounces of chocolate and butter in heatproof bowl set over a a pot of barely simmering water. Heat until the chocolate and butter are melted and smooth, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside. 

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the eggs, brown sugar and vanilla extract. Mix on medium- high speed for 4-5 minutes or until the sugar has completely dissolved. Reduce the speed of the mixer and add the melted chocolate mixture. Add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Turn off the mixer and add the remaining chocolate. Gently fold with a rubber spatula. 

Using a medium-sized cookie scoop, drop balls of cookie dough onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until slightly soft in the center and crackly on top. Sprinkle with additional sea salt.  Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

13 comments:

  1. Ooooh, 20 ounces of chocolate??? That sounds incredible! I can only imagine how intensely chocolate-y these must taste. They look soft and chewy, which is precisely how I like my cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's no such thing as too much chocolate, waht are you talking about?? ;--) These look gorgeous and the sweet/salty combo is the best thing on Earth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These cookies look beyond amazing, Meghan! I love sweet and salty, too, and these cookies look so thick and perfect. Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Double chocolate = perfect amount of chocolate. Salted = best thing ever.
    Together = where is my plateful?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a huge fan of sweet and salty. They just go together perfectly! These cookies look so good. Double Chocolate?! That's all I needed to hear :D Pinning!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These cookies look amazing Meghan! I am such a sucker for sweet and salty and would not be able to resist these double chocolate ones :) I love how soft and thick they look - double yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes, bring on the sweet and salty! That is absolutely my favorite combination and these super chocolatey cookies look so dreamy :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet and salty is always the best!!! These cookies are just amazing. 20 ounces of chocolate sounds just right!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not really a big dessert person, but give me sweet and salty and I'm IN. These look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love sweet and salty too. That little sprinkling of salt on top is so pretty.I def need to try these!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sweet and Salty is just the best! These cookies look so rich and chocolatey!! Yum!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...